[arch-dev-public] Arch project management?

James iphitus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:13:32 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not quite the same, but quite related- I feel that the testing
> repo is not used as often as it should be for single-package upgrades.
> We have been tending to use it for large rebuilds, but you don't see
> packages hit testing near as often when it is all by itself. I don't
> like having hard and fast rules on when a move through testing is
> appropriate. Having bleeding-edge packages is great with this distro,
> but having broken-edge packages is not so hot.

This isnt the same either, but it's related closely anyway. There's
users who want to test. For many smaller updates, we should seek out a
group of users who we can issue the package to, get it tested, then
release.

Just let them know they can uncomment testing at the *end* of their
pacman.conf and pacman -S testing/somepackage (this way they won't get
all of testing... which many do not want)

If the package has [testing] depends, yeah, that complicates things,
but for many bumps, that's not the case.

But yeah, corresponding with users, takes time. We *could* automate it
easily with some scripts, or as suggested, create a new position for
someone to do this for us.... not sure who'd want to do that though.

James
--
iphitus // Arch Developer // kernel26beyond // iphitus.loudas.com