[arch-dev-public] Arch project management?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:18:09 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, James <iphitus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is not quite the same, but quite related- I feel that the testing
> > repo is not used as often as it should be for single-package upgrades.
> > We have been tending to use it for large rebuilds, but you don't see
> > packages hit testing near as often when it is all by itself. I don't
> > like having hard and fast rules on when a move through testing is
> > appropriate. Having bleeding-edge packages is great with this distro,
> > but having broken-edge packages is not so hot.
> >

> This isnt the same either, but it's related closely anyway. There's
> users who want to test. For many smaller updates, we should seek out a
> group of users who we can issue the package to, get it tested, then
> release.
>
> Just let them know they can uncomment testing at the *end* of their
> pacman.conf and pacman -S testing/somepackage (this way they won't get
> all of testing... which many do not want)

It might actually be useful to create some sort of notification system
for our updates in this case.  If we were to create a commit mailing
list for PKGBUILDs, users would be able to know when things are
updated in CVS (or whatever).

Alternatively, this could be done with pacbuild's build process, but I
think Jason wanted to hold off on pacbuild for a bit...