[arch-dev-public] [arch] kernel 2.6.20.7, acpi changes and alsa bumped to 1.0.14rc3

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:09:31 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > the new kernel has acpi modules as much modularized as possible, it was
> > requested due to some people having problems with the monitoring modules in
> > the kernel.
> >
> > I have written a small wiki about the acpi modules, you need to add them to
> > your MODULES=() array in rc.conf.
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpi_modules
>
> I just found this to be an AWFUL idea. My computer just died due to
> overheating. It was fine after  I let it cool off- and rebooted and
> loaded the thermal module as quick as I could.
>
> We can't do this to everyone's machine because of a few people- this
> could fuck over a lot of people (excuse the language). I know it just
> cost me the better part of an hour, and I haven't even found which
> modules I actually need yet!
>
> There has to be a better way than this. Not happy right now.

Ok, now that both the computer and I have cooled off (haha), I'll try
to explain the issue a bit better. :)

1. I rebooted into the new kernel having added no new modules to my
MODULES line in rc.conf.
2. I was sitting in X when I noticed everything start to slow down. A
lot (processor underclocking more than likely). I do a few more things
and boom...whole system goes down.
3. Wondering what happens, I press the power button on the box, which
does nothing.
4. Thinking hardware issue, I unplug and replug the power cord. The
power button works this time, but the computer only stays on for about
3 seconds before dying again. I open it up and can feel the heat wave
from the processor. I let it cool for a while.
5. I reboot with the case open. When the BIOS kicks in, all fans are
running. When the kernel takes over, all fans stop. Processor is still
overly warm at this point.
6. Go to a console, type sensors, and am astounded to see my processor
is at 62 C. Never seen it this high before. modprobe a few of the
modules (processor, button, fan, thermal). As soon as I do thermal,
the fans start spinning again. Processor temp eventually drops to
normal (37 C or so).

kth5 on IRC noted that it seems like a hardware issue, but I don't
believe it could be given that everything normally works fine- the
only thing that changed here was ACPI not being in the kernel proper.
It looks like the BIOS hands off all responsibility to the kernel as
soon as it is loaded, so not having this module really hurts.

Tpowa, can you please list these problems? I feel this new issue could
strike a lot more people that have similar situations to me, as
opposed to the few that were affected before. I don't feel as if a
typical Arch user should be required to have certain modules loaded at
boot time- this stuff is meant to be in the kernel. How do other
distros package and deal with this?

Thoughts or comments?

-Dan