[arch-dev-public] [arch] kernel 2.6.20.7, acpi changes and alsa bumped to 1.0.14rc3

James iphitus at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 04:51:24 EDT 2007

On 4/15/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> the new kernel has acpi modules as much modularized as possible, it was
> requested due to some people having problems with the monitoring modules in
> the kernel.
>
> I have written a small wiki about the acpi modules, you need to add them to
> your MODULES=() array in rc.conf.

Why wasnt this put into testing first at least?

As we can see from the thread in [arch], we've already come across one
person whose fan is controlled via acpi... and had an overheat as a
result.

Secondly, is modularising them really a solution?
- You could have tracked down which one exactly is causing the
problem, and modularised that
- Or heaven above, file a bug upstream at LKML.
- If this is a real problem, then other distros would have done the
same, and you should have found their autodetection scripts before
doing this here.

this is going to annoy more people than it is going to fix problems
for, and this is unacceptable when there's other solutions available.

and... what was the bug? can't find it on the bug tracker.

James
--
iphitus // Arch Developer // kernel26beyond // iphitus.loudas.com