[arch-dev-public] Building and uploading with pacman 3

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:11:49 EDT 2007

This is just a quick note for devs regarding pacman 3 (specifically
makepkg) package naming. We eventually are switching to a scheme where
the arch is tacked on to the package name, and makepkg 3 names
packages this by default. However, this breaks backwards compatibility
with pacman 2.9.8 and down, so we cannot do this in the official repos
yet.

Here is one way to quickly fix this (as a bash function):
makeoldname() {
    mv $1 "${1%-*.pkg.tar.gz}.pkg.tar.gz"
}

JGC also suggested that you can just edit makepkg for now and have it
output the old-style name.

Finally, what is a good timetable for changing the uploaded package
names? If we treat pacman a bit special and always name it without an
arch, people will always be able to upgrade to it, and from there do a
full sysupgrade.

-Dan