[arch-dev-public] [tur-users] Ion3 trademark infringement

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 29 05:43:08 EDT 2007

Tuomo Valkonen schrieb:
> The package "ion3-darcs" [1] on AUR is infringing on the Ion3
> trademark. It is not Ion3 anymore, as it modifies the installed
> program in such a manner (by applying the Xft patch), that it
> can not be considered the original product anymore, but a
> competing one. The package must be renamed so that it can not
> be confused with Ion3(tm), or the Ion project. If this is not
> done, there may be legal repercurssions.
>
>   [1]: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=10622

This thread has just been brought to my attention and I am posting this
to the tur and arch development mailing list.

I suggest that we drop the modified ion version from AUR. I also
strongly suggest that we remove ALL ion-related packages from AUR and
official repos, as well as all other packages that have been released by
the author.

Arch always tries to provide the best and latest for its users. In doing
so, we cannot afford getting sued. So if a package author THREATENS us,
then there is no place for his/her software in our distribution and the
only possible response is to not provide it any more, no matter how good
it is. I am really disappointed that people have to resort to these
kinds of actions, and I am sorry that I feel obligated to the proper
reactions.