[arch-dev-public] thoughts about next release

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 07:15:40 EDT 2007

Hi!

As Tobias said: "kernel 2.6.21 series is now in testing, it will be
the kernel series for next release".

According to the schedule published by Paul repositories
reorganization will be finished not earlier than in the middle of
Summer.

And in this announcement http://www.archlinux.org/news/308/
we said that "When the next kernel 2.6.22 is released, we will push
out a new ISO image".

So, here's how I see variants for next release:

1) release new ISOs based on 2.6.21, using the current scheme (ftp+base+current)
additional possible changes:
* provide snapshot of extra (and community?) for download via BitTorrent
* FTP reorder as described here:
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/private/arch-dev/2007-March/005087.html

2) wait until 2.6.22 (hopefully it will be released after repositories
reorganization) or even a bit longer and release new ISO set:
core & ftp as CDs and main(extra) + community snapshots as DVDs.

Changes that should be done in any case:
* remove release version and codename from /etc/issue
* remove /etc/arch-release
* call new release as "ISO release" or "snapshot" instead of "Arch release"
* make users understand that there's no such thing as "release" in
Arch Linux. :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)