[arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.21 series hits testing

tobias at justdreams.de tobias at justdreams.de
Sun Apr 29 00:31:46 EDT 2007

Quoting Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> - xfce4 battery meter seems broken (please confirm)
>
> Why only xfce? If only one user reported that, I guess it is an ACPI
> problem on this machine that is not xfce-specific, but rather
> machine-specific (and the reporter happens to use xfce).
> Due to the heavy ACPI changes in this release, this seems likely.

My best guess is the following:
Problems in 2.6.20 were related to the fact that acpi modules firstly were not
loaded by default for most of the users. Hence, no directory /proc/acpi/bat
existed. The xfce4-battery-plugin resolves the issue by showing that 50%
thingy.

>From the release logs, IIRC, as of 2.6.21 the acpi stuff moves now from
/proc/acpi to /sys. This is supposed to be work in progress, but the battery
stuff might be already affected. (I'm fishing here, I didn't check the patches)

   -T