[arch-dev-public] humans and machines

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Wed Aug 1 14:13:53 EDT 2007

Wednesday 01 August 2007, Jason Chu wrote:
 | On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 07:14:54PM +0200, Damir Perisa wrote:
 | > Wednesday 01 August 2007, Simo Leone wrote:
 | >  | Why run checkpkg and all that garbage every
 | >  | time, keep it simple and record the ones you found so whoever
 | >  | upgrades it next time will have a head start and know what
 | >  | they're getting themselves into.
 | >
 | > exactly my point - i do not want to be forced to run checkpkg if
 | > i as a human being feel i do not want to for a certain update
 | > i'm _sure_ it is ok.
 |
 | I'm glad that you feel it in your very soul.  But a computer will
 | be able to tell you for sure, it isn't human.

right you are... i just fear the point where human overriding of
something is not longer possible because of the rightness of
something...

 | While I understand your feelings, if the check wasn't as invasive
 | as the current checkpkg (like, run on the server) wouldn't it be
 | better to verify everything and then make exceptions for the cases
 | you get all touchy feely about?

sure, absolutely! checkpkg as it is now i don't like because my
internet connection is not the fastest and my cpu almost all the time
used (therefore also 66°C most of the times)... that's why i compare
FILELISTs instead of running checkpkg for cases i'm not sure about
so-name changes... my argument is purely egoistic and out of my
comfort. would i be having a high-speed internet and a up-to-date CPU
(actually my new laptop that should come every day will have enough
CPU power), i wouldn't mind rebuilding old versions to compare
so-names...

 | > actually... the best way to check for so-name changes is the
 | > contact with the developement leader of a project. that's how i
 | > figure out if a pkg triggers rebuildings to other pkgs in most
 | > cases.
 |
 | If they get back to you in a reasonable amount of time

they usually do... they feel all too excited and like to get feedback
anyway.

 | and
 | remember every library that's changed between one version and
 | another...

they should know.... if not, maybe they should run checkpkg before
releasing soemthing they do not know what it is :)

 | They're also human.

all of them? :-)

lol!

- D