[arch-dev-public] 2007.08 Don't Panic Isos release

Jürgen Hötzel juergen at hoetzel.info
Wed Aug 8 16:05:05 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:13:16PM -0700, eliott wrote:
> ok. What the hell?
>
> This is ridiculous.
> I think it is great that damir is off to fix all the software that
> deals with escape characters poorly, but in the mean time, I feel a
> need to find a resolution that isn't np-hard.
>
> It must be my development/engineering background.
> Silly me being all practical.
>
> If nobody has any objections, I will change the iso filenames to *not*
> include the ' character. I will probably have to contact the guy who
> posted the torrents as well. It will be a hassle, but this is so
> ludicrous that I am willing to do some extra legwork to fix it.

But this will lead to many broken links to the original file-name and thus
cause even more trouble and bad news for Arch Linux. Also a new torrent
make existent seeds/bandwidth useless and will cause confusion if users
search for Arch Linux torrents. Why not just post news like:

Rename the file-name if your cd-record software can't handle the original
file-name.

Jürgen