[arch-dev-public] Repository rebuilding

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Aug 9 15:16:00 EDT 2007

As some of us have noticed, there's a new toolchain in current now. One
of the new features is GNU hashing for library symbols. This should
speed up linking libraries together. To get full advantage of this
hashing, the ideal thing would be to have everything built using GNU
hashing on your system. I would suggest a full repo rebuild for this.

Another reason for a full repo rebuild would be the bugs we get
regarding old packages. Last week we had such a package which had been
imported in the repositories 3 years ago and needs libstdc++5 to
function now. I looked at it and it doesn't even build with the current
compiler we have. This would be the ideal opportunity to get rid of
packages that don't compile anymore, or to get them fixed.

Compared to operation libtool-slay we had over a year ago, this
operation is much more work, but we won't have to pass through testing:
the rebuilds don't break anything and the packages remain compatible
with eachother.

What do we think of this idea?