[arch-dev-public] ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Fri Dec 14 21:21:49 EST 2007

Travis Willard wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2007 6:04 PM, Tom K <tom at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Well, if there's a general feeling that we should go for '08, that's
>> fine with me too.
>
> I'd personally prefer '09 - already have vacation planned for '08, and
> not sure if I'll be able to justify two extravagent trips.

I'm less for '09 than '08. I don't know where I'm going to be in '08 and
saving money plus then keeping it is a great hassle. Berlin is a great
city to live it but not to make a living. Thus, I may be outta here by
then or simply wouldn't know where I'd be. Just a feeling about not
liking to plan that much ahead.

>> Re the current trend of this conversation: I can of course see the
>> practical benefits of organising our shindig around an existing,
>> established event. I have to say, though, that my original thought was
>> for ArchCon to stand on its own. Whether that's practical or not is open
>> to discussion, of course.
>
> I thought stand-alone too, but that involves a ton of planning if we
> wanna do some kind of 'real' convention.  If it's just a bunch of
> dev's in someone's mother's basement, then it'd be easier to do, heh.

Hypothetically, if we would decide to do it in Germany I'd be able to
get a huge room in the middle of town in the Tacheles art house for
almost free. A week is about 400 bucks but since it's only 3 days, well.
Internet redundancy is 4x and lots of people backing it. Well, I don't
think doing this at someone's house is a very good idea.

> I don't mind organizing this around another con, or whatever - but I'd
> greatly prefer 2009.  Any day/time combo is good for me in '09, and
> pretty well nothing will be good in '08.

I'd rather not. Linuxtag wasn't all so bad cos it was a Linux fair and
we hung around the booth most of the time anyways. But on froscon I
would imagine, with that intensity of topics we'd easily be distracted
by non-arch related stuff.

Cheers,

-G