[arch-dev-public] [signoff] xine-lib 1.1.8-2

Tue Dec 18 12:14:30 EST 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007 8:52 AM, Varun Acharya <ganja.guru.x64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I upgraded xine-lib, and then did a  'pacman -Rd codecs'  (I couldn't do it
>> with just -R since it was still required by xine-lib.. strange since the
>> upgraded xine-lib shouldn't be asking for codecs..possible pacman bug?)
> Yes. Already fixed in git for the 3.1 release.
>> Another point, i686 codec package is ~ 9MB, x86_64 is ~0.22 MB
> This is expected. The codecs are binary.
>> Real Media
>> ...snip...
> Personally, I don't mind if real media stuff doesn't play. I haven't
> seen a real media file in ages anyway, and I'm sure the "helix player"
> or whatever it's called will play them fine. This is acceptable to me
> - it is a format controlled by a third party, and if they want to make
> it difficult to play their videos, that's their fault - market
> penetration and all that fun stuff.
> Thanks for testing all this, it's appretiated

The helix player doesn't play the closed real media formats, at least not
real audio/video. For real media, users can use the realplayer PKGBUILD
that I maintain in unsupported.  It's probably better than the codecs
especially with the newest real files.