[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.23.11-1

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Wed Dec 19 04:41:49 EST 2007

Am Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2007 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 15:19 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > On Dec 17, 2007 11:11 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > > I am not sure why this snapshots are really needed at all. I recompiled
> > > the kernel without alsa nor cfs patches and everything seems to be fine
> > > again.
The CFS doesn't affect your pnpacpi problem nor alsa.
It speeds up the scheduler to .24 speed and fixes wlan wpa issues, as reported
in the last kernel signoffs.
the patch is from ingo molnar (redhat kernel hacker), only cleaned up to apply
to latest kernel source which already included some minor changes already.

pnpacpi will be fixed in 2.6.23.12 kernel -> upstream issue

> > I've wondered this myself - why do we use the lastest-and-greatest
> > direct-from-source-control alsa snapshots? Is there a reason? Tpowa,
> > could you fill us in? I mean, it DOES make sense to do this in some
> > regards, but sound isn't really mission critical. It seems like we
> > have lots of sound issues every so often and the fix is usually
> > "reverted the alsa snapshot".
> > Could you please explain so the rest of us understand?
>
> Usually it's the other way around. With all these random HDA codecs on
> the market, it's a pain to maintain driver support for these things.
> Usually it's "update to new alsa snapshot" to fix bugs, but in this case
> we got a broken snapshot. New snapshot should be fine though, they fixed
> the missing IOCTL today.
new snapshot is included in new 2.6.23.12 kernel that should fix those issues
too.

greetings
tpowa
--