[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.23.11-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Dec 17 18:48:36 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 15:19 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 11:11 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > I am not sure why this snapshots are really needed at all. I recompiled the
> > kernel without alsa nor cfs patches and everything seems to be fine again.
>
> I've wondered this myself - why do we use the lastest-and-greatest
> direct-from-source-control alsa snapshots? Is there a reason? Tpowa,
> could you fill us in? I mean, it DOES make sense to do this in some
> regards, but sound isn't really mission critical. It seems like we
> have lots of sound issues every so often and the fix is usually
> "reverted the alsa snapshot".
> Could you please explain so the rest of us understand?

Usually it's the other way around. With all these random HDA codecs on
the market, it's a pain to maintain driver support for these things.
Usually it's "update to new alsa snapshot" to fix bugs, but in this case
we got a broken snapshot. New snapshot should be fine though, they fixed
the missing IOCTL today.