[arch-dev-public] 32bit vs. 64bit (was: Re: New /arch/db-* scripts)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 11 03:46:08 EDT 2007

Dan McGee schrieb:
> (By the way- on this same note, I am
> starting to notice a bit too much of a black and white distinction
> between the two architectures- we should be working together as much
> as possible. By this I mean calling people a 32 bit or 64 bit dev-
> sure, they have those machines, but I'm sure everyone would be willing
> to build for either if they had the equipment and time. But this is
> OT, sorry.)

We have actually started that development already:
- 64 bit developers can now be package maintainers themselves (this
discrimination was weird, I'm glad it is gone)
- a number of people with 64 bit hardware compile for both x86_64 and
i686 (like pierre, andyrtr, myself). That is easily possible due to the
backwards compatibility of x86_64.