[arch-dev-public] 32bit vs. 64bit (was: Re: New /arch/db-* scripts)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:51:00 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Dan McGee schrieb:
> > (By the way- on this same note, I am
> > starting to notice a bit too much of a black and white distinction
> > between the two architectures- we should be working together as much
> > as possible. By this I mean calling people a 32 bit or 64 bit dev-
> > sure, they have those machines, but I'm sure everyone would be willing
> > to build for either if they had the equipment and time. But this is
> > OT, sorry.)
>
> We have actually started that development already:
> - 64 bit developers can now be package maintainers themselves (this
> discrimination was weird, I'm glad it is gone)
> - a number of people with 64 bit hardware compile for both x86_64 and
> i686 (like pierre, andyrtr, myself). That is easily possible due to the
> backwards compatibility of x86_64.

It'd still be nice if we could integrate architecture more closely
into the dashboard... perhaps, seeing as no one has the drive to do
some django development, we could grab community members to work on
it.
I have a free box if someone wants to setup a sandbox for playing with
the arch site on it... cactus, ya interested?