[arch-dev-public] repo reorg

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Wed Jul 11 07:18:35 EDT 2007

I support reorganizing, but like the fact that a single full CD can give
me a pretty useful system if I'm a disconnected install. I also support
using more repos rather than fewer, since with repoman the repos will
become less of a hassle to manage. I support wide driver support, but
don't think wireless drivers need to be installed on every box! So let
me take a shot at a scheme:

[core]:
  installed whenever Arch is installed
  draws from existing base category
  minimize size
  free/unencumbered only
  stringent review/discussion for changing

[support]:
  drivers/utilities needed for installs
  included on core install cd

[lite]:
  fits on cd with installer
  free/unencumbered
  as much function as we can pack into 1 cd
  stringent review/discussion for changing

[full]:
  everything else
  this should continue to fit on 1 of some medium (now DVD)

Nice aspects of this include that people who want a totally free system
can rely on lite providing that, core can be really small, and people
can have all the drivers they need at install time.

- P