[arch-dev-public] repo reorg

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:31:30 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> I support reorganizing, but like the fact that a single full CD can give
> me a pretty useful system if I'm a disconnected install.

Here's what I find silly about the "1 cd" requirement.  Not only can
squashfs, with varying compression levels, make this a never ending
argument as to the real size, we also generally support "modern
hardware" (or used to).  This means that we should probably be
supporting DVDs.

Now, go ask around.  I'll bet ya any money that most people you ask
install from the base or ftp isos.  Most people who like the current
ISO are more like you - it's more of a special case thing.  Well, lets
run with that.  If this is a special case for some and not all users,
why don't we throw some tools at it?  Make some tools that create a
repo-on-a-disk and just use that?
This seems way more ideal and won't cause us to split our workload
(or, rather, won't cause Andy and tpowa to do extra work they probably
won't use) for more edge case stuff.  Most people are drawn to Arch
because of the minimal/lightweight aspect.  No one says "I'll install
as many packages as I can! And ones that other people chose for me to
boot!"