[arch-dev-public] repo reorg

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 11 08:44:34 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 07:31 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> > I support reorganizing, but like the fact that a single full CD can give
> > me a pretty useful system if I'm a disconnected install.
>
> Here's what I find silly about the "1 cd" requirement.  Not only can
> squashfs, with varying compression levels, make this a never ending
> argument as to the real size, we also generally support "modern
> hardware" (or used to).  This means that we should probably be
> supporting DVDs.
>
> Now, go ask around.  I'll bet ya any money that most people you ask
> install from the base or ftp isos.  Most people who like the current
> ISO are more like you - it's more of a special case thing.

I can't remember the last time I installed from anything other than the
ftp disk.  Even on systems that are disconnected, I normally take them
somewhere with a fast connection to do install/upgrade, then they just
sit where they're at after that.  If they ever need upgraded again I
could burn current and extra to a dvd or put it on a flash disk.  I
don't tend to go to people's houses without internet and expect to
install Arch and have everything work without upgrading or checking
wiki/google.

Dale