[arch-dev-public] base group

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:52:55 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> IIRC this was mentioned some time ago, but I don't remember why it was
> not implemented.
> Why don't we have the "base" package group?
> IMO it would be nice if user would be able to do pacman -S base to get
> all base packages installed (e.g. in chroot or when installing from
> another distro).

I always thought it was a good idea.  Actually, I think what I had in
mind was not a base "group" but a virtual package named base that
depended on the entire thing.  The reason for that was so that all of
the base packages did not show up as orphans.... actually, wait, this
is fixed now that -Qe output is fixed in pacman3.

Either way, I always thought it was a good idea.  I know there were
arguments against it, I just can't recall any of the reasons.