[arch-dev-public] base group

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Jul 11 15:00:08 EDT 2007

Am Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:11:37 +0300
schrieb "Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> IIRC this was mentioned some time ago, but I don't remember why it was
> not implemented.
> Why don't we have the "base" package group?
> IMO it would be nice if user would be able to do pacman -S base to get
> all base packages installed (e.g. in chroot or when installing from
> another distro).

the installer recommends to install every pkg of "base". but it's still
useful to no install everything if you know what you are doing
(deselecting not used filesystem tools, only one editor, no pcmcia and
more). a metapkg isn't needed as i cannot see any point where a user
later would install it again.

Andy