[arch-dev-public] will DVD size be the limit for our official repos?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Jul 11 17:55:44 EDT 2007

Am Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:52:56 -0500
schrieb Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org>:

> Totally agree, you just beat me to it. In addition, we are primarily
> network-based for pacman repos. It's very very rare to need to have
> the entire repos fit on one medium, and I'd say if that is a real
> requirement for some odd reason, you must be doing something wrong
> (ie. choose a subset of packages that you need, i bet it's almost
> nothing)
>
> -S

this is right if you think off users with huge bandwidth connections.
but we had it already twice in Germany that a printed LinuxMagazin
included the full iso, they also asked for a dvd. that always made Arch
more public here and brought new users to the Arch community.

but then there's also the world with poor bandwith connection where
still poeple want to use Arch. do you remember how often users requested
a new installation cd release in the past?

and there's still my intention having ArchLinux prepared for a stable
branch that would really need to have DVD medias with all packages.

sure the repos can be much larger. at least we have to make sure
there's an easy way to build DVD snapshots on one or more medias
whenever we want.

Andy