[arch-dev-public] will DVD size be the limit for our official repos?

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 11 16:52:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:40:57PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> This seems like a rather silly requirement for no reason.  Just like
> one of those "hey lets only allow 10 documents open at once" features
> from Lotus Notes.
>
> Why are we limiting things again? If I put all our repos on up-to-date
> DVD isos, how many people do you think will download them?  Probably
> very very little.
>
> Is there a reason to confine out size to an arbitrary number? What
> about Bluray or HDDVD or flash drives... maybe we should confine the
> size so it will fit on my 20GB iPod?

Totally agree, you just beat me to it. In addition, we are primarily
network-based for pacman repos. It's very very rare to need to have the
entire repos fit on one medium, and I'd say if that is a real
requirement for some odd reason, you must be doing something wrong (ie.
choose a subset of packages that you need, i bet it's almost nothing)

-S