[arch-dev-public] An introduction to gooeydo

Phil Dillon-Thiselton dibblethewrecker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 07:55:51 EDT 2007

On 27/07/07, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa at solnet.ch> wrote:
> the .desktop files are read by DE's for menu-making. the DE has
> usually a standard "su" tool. that's why i was thinking in the
> beginning, that this would be the ideal thing to handle needs-root
> conditions.

Hmmm, I guess that's true, but then I suppose it depends on a great
degree of compliance by the DE creators and it also means users of
those DEs are tied to that one method of launching apps, which I can't
see being universally popular.

Now, if all DEs had a facility for setting the run as root
application, on a per user and even system wide basis, then we'd be
talking!  But what about WMs that just crib the .desktop files for
desktop menus (openbox)?  I can't see them wanting to include that
sort of functionality.

It's one of those awesome Linux grey areas where sheer variety causes
standardisation problems.

> but if gooeydo works, great for us! :)

Well, I hope so :-)  It certainly does for _right now_, as brain0 would say...

If no-one has any particular objections to this approach I'd be keen
to throw it out and start implementing it ASAP.  The dichotomous
situation with wifi-radar and gparted is already icky enough for a
"fix".

Cheers,

Phil