[arch-dev-public] An introduction to gooeydo

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:29:21 EDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Sounds a bit overboard.  Seriously, Phil actually proposed a
> > solution... he said "here's a script, do this", why are we looking for
> > other solutions? Or is this premature optimization?
>
> No, more worried about NIH.

I hate that acronym.  It implies that you should always use stuff that
other people made, which we all know is a terrible idea.  I can cry
NIH all day long.   What is this pkg.tar.gz? Use debs! NIH! Why are
these scripts in /etc/rc.d/, use init.d like everyone else! NIH!
Archlinux? Why use that, use debian! NIH!

Ok ok, rant over, but seriously, the only reason the NIH cry is
applicable is when there is a _good_ solution in existence.  You
already stated that there are none.  If the problem is not solved, if
there is no solution, then the NIH claim is moot.