[arch-dev-public] An introduction to gooeydo

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 30 16:56:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 03:29:21PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > Sounds a bit overboard.  Seriously, Phil actually proposed a
> > > solution... he said "here's a script, do this", why are we looking for
> > > other solutions? Or is this premature optimization?
> >
> > No, more worried about NIH.
>
> I hate that acronym.  It implies that you should always use stuff that
> other people made, which we all know is a terrible idea.  I can cry
> NIH all day long.   What is this pkg.tar.gz? Use debs! NIH! Why are
> these scripts in /etc/rc.d/, use init.d like everyone else! NIH!
> Archlinux? Why use that, use debian! NIH!
>
> Ok ok, rant over, but seriously, the only reason the NIH cry is
> applicable is when there is a _good_ solution in existence.  You
> already stated that there are none.  If the problem is not solved, if
> there is no solution, then the NIH claim is moot.

Wow.  I didn't think that my filling in the rest of the team on my findings
was really that bad of an idea.

I never said that we shouldn't use Phil's solution or that we should use
something else instead.  You asked why I was looking for something else and
I said it was because I wanted to make sure no one else had already solved
this.

So step off.

Jason