[arch-dev-public] External Kernel Modules - DKMS

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Jul 31 16:07:50 EDT 2007

it seems to be an agreement for having only one official kernel very
soon. what for would we need dkms?

1) automated module compiling on major kernel updates
 - see how often the most important modules are broken and need
   patching or new versions. dkms won't help there.

2) build kernel modules for custom kernels
 - why should we support that in core? dkms would be just another
   possible broken pkg.

i suggest to keep it simple how we do it now with only one kernel and
prebuild modules. dkms could be a playground in the community repo or
maybe even in extra if you like to support it.

but first of all we should make important decisions: will we keep the
repos or do we want to switch to core + something else? any discussion
about the content of our still not defined repos won't make much sense
for me now.

Andy