[arch-dev-public] External Kernel Modules - DKMS

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:59:03 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> 2) build kernel modules for custom kernels
>  - why should we support that in core? dkms would be
>  just another possible broken pkg.

I've seen a lot of this attitude recently, and I really want to say
that I find it decidedly un-Arch-like.  "Why support the users when we
can just do it our way?"

I've always been a fan of arch because it becomes what _I_ want, not
what some packager decided I wanted.  I'm pretty sure this is true of
a lot of people.

> but first of all we should make important decisions: will we keep the
> repos or do we want to switch to core + something else? any discussion
> about the content of our still not defined repos won't make much sense
> for me now.

Hrm, I'd recommend making a new thread for this topic here.  Let's not
hijack James' topic.