[arch-dev-public] wireless modules up for grabs

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 15 01:48:41 EDT 2007

James schrieb:
> I'll keep maintaining them, but if anyone wants them or thinks they
> can do a better job, lemme know, and I'll orphan them for you.
>
> * ipw3945 - only needs to be maintained until iwl3945 is stable (not yet).

I use it on my laptop, so I could do it. I am also regularly testing
iwl3945.

> * tiacx - there's kernel patches in -mm, these are probably better as
> the external module is infrequently updated.

I have such a card (acx100, 802.11b), but I don't use it. I could use it
to test the card though. There are currently 3 drivers, legacy (from the
homapage), softmac (in -mm afaik, but I think it will not be maintained
anymore) and a mac80211 version. We need to find out which one works
best and which one we can built out-of-tree.

> * rt2500 - had hardware for this, but it's bust now.

I have such a card on my old laptop, which I don't use anymore right
now, but I will maybe use it as a server soon.

> * rt2x00-* - will be in 2.6.22 from wireless-git?

rt2x00 development has been stalled for a while due to the main author
being busy with real life. The CVS port to built out-of-tree is always
out of date afaik, but the author suggested to me to use it anyway.
Maybe we can pull the code directly from the -git tree.

The driver won't merge before 2.6.24 as far as I see the situation

I could maintain these four, and could test them all, but I only
actively use the first one right now.