[arch-dev-public] Updating base /etc files

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:17:21 EDT 2007

This is split from the "iputils and traceroute" discussion on
arch-dev, moving it to the public list, and splitting things out.

The issue is that our stock /etc/services and /etc/protocols files suck.

Here's what I'd like to do - rip these files out of the iputils
package and stick them in the 'filesystem' package.

We can then grab updated files from NetBSD:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/etc/
As proposed in this bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6194

I would also like to suggest one more file be updated, but am unsure
if it should be part of the filesystem package:
/etc/mailcap

mailcap is actually really useful for things like firefox, which falls
back to there if some of those goofy gnome services aren't running (I
don't use them, so it cripples firefox here unless I use a ~/.mailcap)

There is a huge problem with this, though, and that would be the fact
that we'd have to add/remove entries to it to do things
successfully... however, if we don't want to do this, we could at
least provide entries for all out base packages (for instance, less
and tar).

- Aaron