[arch-dev-public] Updating base /etc files

James iphitus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:41:47 EDT 2007

On 4/1/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is split from the "iputils and traceroute" discussion on
> arch-dev, moving it to the public list, and splitting things out.
>
> The issue is that our stock /etc/services and /etc/protocols files suck.
>
> Here's what I'd like to do - rip these files out of the iputils
> package and stick them in the 'filesystem' package.
>
> We can then grab updated files from NetBSD:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/etc/
> As proposed in this bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6194

If they're better, go for it.

> I would also like to suggest one more file be updated, but am unsure
> if it should be part of the filesystem package:
> /etc/mailcap
>
> mailcap is actually really useful for things like firefox, which falls
> back to there if some of those goofy gnome services aren't running (I
> don't use them, so it cripples firefox here unless I use a ~/.mailcap)

And mailcap is a bit goofy as it's provided by a few things, mutt
always comes up with a file conflict when installed for example.

We could take the netbsd ones and package them separately. The new
network scripts i've been working on have been seperated from the
initscripts package. How about we name the package 'network' and
include these files with it?

I'll have the network scripts up in a SCM during the next week, im
just tidying them and applying some patches now so they're ready to go
up.

James

--
iphitus // Arch Developer // kernel26beyond // iphitus.loudas.com