[arch-dev-public] thoughts about next release

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:56:10 EDT 2007

2007/5/11, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On 5/11/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't mind about a fun. :)
> > But those files do state, that user is running some _release_ which is
> > not true because of Rolling Release System (tm) ;-)
>
> Ah, I get your point now.  It does make sense.
>
> How about a change from "version X.Y" to "Codename: FOO" i.e. "Codename: Duke"

A bit better.
It will be fun when user will be surprised by new codename after one
of -Syu on the next reboot. :-D

2007/5/11, Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org>:
> Why don't we keep labeling release CDs as such but have pacman write the
> date to /etc/arch-release on successful -Su (or -Syu maybe)?  It always
> did bother me that at times you could get a newer release than was
> actually available for download.  This way we'd know exactly last time
> the system was updated.

Hm... sounds interesting...
Looks like a decent idea to Arch. :-)
Not so good to other distros with Pacman, that probably won't have
Rolling Release System, but that can be solved.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)