[arch-dev-public] thoughts about next release

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:26:57 EDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/5/11, Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org>:
> > Why don't we keep labeling release CDs as such but have pacman write the
> > date to /etc/arch-release on successful -Su (or -Syu maybe)?  It always
> > did bother me that at times you could get a newer release than was
> > actually available for download.  This way we'd know exactly last time
> > the system was updated.
>
> Hm... sounds interesting...
> Looks like a decent idea to Arch. :-)
> Not so good to other distros with Pacman, that probably won't have
> Rolling Release System, but that can be solved.

I don't know how much I like the idea of modifying that file on every
-Syu.  A "pull" method sounds cleaner.  For instance, pacman can keep
track of the last time it did an -Syu (and actually installed
something) somehow in /var/lib/pacman (/local/.lastupdate ? that'd
match the other DBs)

We could then have some other utility adjust the release file.... cron
job? rc.sysinit?