[arch-dev-public] Package Cleanup: Part II

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Thu May 31 14:46:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:13:38PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > > In addition there is a community cleanup initiative going on, which
> > > should kill off the stagnant packages there too.

> > > That's the next step, and I tried to keep from doing the "big" moves
> > > right away.  We'll call that "part 3" - the moving of desktop stuff
> > > from current to extra, BUT no one seems to have chimed in.  So, if no
> > > one speaks up, I'm going to assume it's ok to move all desktop stuff
> > > to extra? Except, perhaps, xorg (and related packages) itself?
> >
> > Why xorg?  What's the use having xorg in current if nothing else can use
> > it?  Isn't that a pretty good argument for having it outside of current?
> > The whole cross-repo dependencies...
>
> Umm, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of packages which depend
> on "up level" packages.  For instance, glibc is in current.
> The reason I feel that xorg should stay in current is more-or-less
> that it's as important, to a desktop install, as the kernel and glibc
> and the like.
>
> > That just means that current becomes core, doesn't it?
> >
> > I replied to you wiki response about core a little while ago:
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Core_Packages
>
> There's some cross talk here.  This isn't the "core" stuff per-se,
> it's just cleaning things up and putting them where they belong, not
> trying to carve out a distinctive set of packages.

I think my problem is that I still don't know the differences between
this "core" repository and moving all the desktop stuff out of current.

I still don't know what "core" is supposed to mean, so to me it sounds like
putting packages where they belong is the same thing as creating a core
repository.

Jason