[arch-dev-public] Package Cleanup: Part II

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:14:59 EDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:13:38PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > > Why xorg?  What's the use having xorg in current if nothing else can use
> > > it?  Isn't that a pretty good argument for having it outside of current?
> > > The whole cross-repo dependencies...
> >
> > Umm, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of packages which depend
> > on "up level" packages.  For instance, glibc is in current.
> > The reason I feel that xorg should stay in current is more-or-less
> > that it's as important, to a desktop install, as the kernel and glibc
> > and the like.
> >
> > > That just means that current becomes core, doesn't it?
> > >
> > > I replied to you wiki response about core a little while ago:
> > > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Core_Packages
> >
> > There's some cross talk here.  This isn't the "core" stuff per-se,
> > it's just cleaning things up and putting them where they belong, not
> > trying to carve out a distinctive set of packages.
>
> I think my problem is that I still don't know the differences between
> this "core" repository and moving all the desktop stuff out of current.
>
> I still don't know what "core" is supposed to mean, so to me it sounds like
> putting packages where they belong is the same thing as creating a core
> repository.

Hmmm well, the way I think of it.  Moving desktop stuff to extra just
seems "appropriate".  We've discussed, maybe 20 times or so, that the
line between current and extra makes no sense anymore.  Current was
intended to be "one of everything that we can fit on a CD" and that's
moot now (squashfs can give you me a 350MB full arch install in a
115MB ISO - squash-lzma is even better, I think I got the same install
down to around 90MB or so).  Also, confining the repo due to size just
seems silly now.  We have no real reigning criteria for what makes
current "current", so that's where this is heading.

The moving of desktop stuff to extra is an effort to "define" what the
current repo is.  Regarding the "core" stuff, I had said a few times -
completely ignore that page - forget it exists.  The intent of the
core repo thing is totally different, but with, potentially, a similar
end result.

That said, please please ignore the "core repo".  I am currently just
working in terms of "clean up", which involves organization.  It seems
many people in the community agree (from the vote column) that desktop
should be moved to extra.

I don't see any harm in it.  Can you point out any cons besides
something like "it takes work" (because, of course, I will do that)?