[arch-dev-public] Package Cleanup: Part II

Thu May 31 16:37:43 EDT 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On 5/31/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/18/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Package_Cleanup
> > >
> > > So the initial burst made a smallish dent, but there's still a lot
> > > more to do, which I'd like to get to this weekend.  If anyone want to
> > > help out, that'd be great.  In addition, please voice your opinions
> > > about a few things (I haven't heard a lot of developers talk about
> > > this, so I've left it alone:
> > >
> > > * Move desktop related stuff to extra? (possibly keep only xorg in current?)
> > > * Move wireless/network modules to current? (they're that important IMO)
> > > * Rename current to "core" ?
> > > * Anything else?
> >
> > I just wanted to say well done on this, Aaron, for taking the
> > initiative and doing it. Here are the current repo sizes and changes
> > from my original counts:
> > Current: 557 (-6 packages)
> > Extra: 1905 (-114 packages)
> > Community: 1486 (+289 packages)
> >
> > As you can see, some of the burden has shifted which is a good thing in my eyes.
>
> In addition there is a community cleanup initiative going on, which
> should kill off the stagnant packages there too.

Just to clear that up, the community repo had a major cleanup a month
ago. That doesn't exclude another minor cleanup though.
The other cleanup currently taking place is in the orphaned packages in
unsupported.

> > Do we need to go anywhere with the above stuff, such as moving some
> > desktop apps out of current, etc.? It may allow them to be built with
> > a more complete feature set than they are when put in current.
>
> That's the next step, and I tried to keep from doing the "big" moves
> right away.  We'll call that "part 3" - the moving of desktop stuff
> from current to extra, BUT no one seems to have chimed in.  So, if no
> one speaks up, I'm going to assume it's ok to move all desktop stuff
> to extra? Except, perhaps, xorg (and related packages) itself?

I think that we are going a bit too fast here. I believe that the cleanup
isn't done yet.  There are still stuff (like WM dockapps) that could be
removed. XMMS has been moved to community repo (it hasn't been removed
from current yet) but there are a couple of packages in current/extra
that have xmms as a makedepends/depends. We should fix these to complete
the removal of xmms from the current repo. What about standalone
libraries, python and perl modules? Did anyone checked for these?  These
are all things that should be done before starting to move stuff from
current to extra. Perhaps all of this is in a "part 2" that hasn't been
done yet.

believed to be clean.