[arch-dev-public] The Arch-ization of packages

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Sun Nov 4 09:48:44 EST 2007

The way I see it is rather simple. It's nice to have an automated way to
brag about which distro you're running. But in the end that doesn't help
anyone, not really.

Distrowatch may bump us to first place but does that change what arch
is? It'll just create stress on the developers and people in the
community as it may happen to us, like it does to Debian or Gentoo
channels. You're worried about people not reading the docs now already?

In my point of view it all sums up to about this:
If the packages I have work for me, it's all I want. Putting extra
complexity into packages just for the sake of adding yet another distro
specific splashscreen for me is just a hassle, out of which I don't see
any advantage but personal enjoyment when bragging.

Cheers,

-G