[arch-dev-public] The Arch-ization of packages

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 06:13:29 EST 2007

2007/11/4, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On 11/3/07, Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 06:08:53PM +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> > > Do we really need there rules? Can't we let the decision up to the
> > > maintainer?
> > >
> > > If we really need a rule I vote for providing packages pure upstream
> > > with a post.install message how to get it archiefied. Either with cp -f
> > > an included archiefied config/splash/theme over the default one or
> > > to show what additional package will provide the related Arch stuff.
> > >
> > I'm with Andy on this one. Leave it up to the maintainer. Yeah, it can
> > be a bit inconsistent, but I don't really mind a mix.
>
> I think what we need to do is be consistent. So yes, we need 'rules' -
> maybe 'guidelines' is a better word.
>
> Personally, and I don't know how possible this is, I'd love to see
> branding, but SEPARATE branding, if that is possible.
>
> As far as a guideline goes, I don't seen anyone with a huge problem
> with it. Eliott mentioned it being annoying, and I agree - branding
> can be intrusive. But at the same time, it shows a little "Arch Pride"
> as it were.
>
> So here's what I propose for a guideline:
> Branding is a good thing, but whenever possible try to make it a
> separate package. If that's not possible, then try to make the
> branding as unobtrusive as possible.

Here I summarized some ideas from this thread:

* Brand anything that is
1) easy to brand (up to the _maintainer_ of the piece if it is easy
enough or not)
2) not forbidden to be branded/changed by upstream rules
3) makes it look decent (starting opengl fireworks with the arch-logo
displayed when you launch an kde editor for example is overdoing it)
4) do not associates us with something we are not associated with

Don't get confused by "anything" - of course putting arch logo on
every splash screen in _every_ application is overkill. :-)

* Put all branding in separate and _optional_
{gnome,kde,xfce,etc}-arch-artwork packages where possible.
I know that for some packages it is not possible to separate, so
branding should be unobtrusive. (I guess changing browser's UA string
is unobtrusive)
Note that with this ("optional") logic arch-menus should not be
_required_ by KDE/Gnome/Xfce as well (IMO).

Are above ideas OK for us to agree on them?
I'd like to hear if our KDE/Gnome/Xfce maintainers have the same opinion.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)