[arch-dev-public] Migration to QT4

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Nov 4 17:09:54 EST 2007

Hi all,

as I mentioned some time ago I want to move qt4 to [extra] soon. I am quite
busy right now; so there is some delay but I am still working on this.

Before committing my changes to [testing] I want to discuss the upgrade path
again. (because it will be some work to revert this changes if it was a bad
idea after all)

qt and qt-docs will be updated to version 4. They will replace the packages
from community and provide qt4 as well. Like the community package they will
be installed into /usr instead of /opt. We do not need any script
in /etc/profile.d then.

Version 3 of qt will be packaged as qt3 and qt3-docs. It will stay in /opt and
still will have a profile script; but it will be disabled per default. All
packages directly depending on qt version 3 will be repackaged to depend on
qt3. The PKGBUILD have to source the profile.

Packages like KDE and others depending on kdelibs do not need to be rebuilt.

Pierre

--
archlinux.de