[arch-dev-public] GPL2 -> GPL3 license changes in packages

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:56:02 EST 2007

2007/11/8, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa at solnet.ch>:
> Thursday 08 November 2007, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>  | Hm, valid point, so you propose to have GPL for GPL2+ (most
>  | software) and GPL2 for GPL2-only (e.g. Linux kernel)?
>  | Then I guess most PKGBUILDs that changed GPL to GPL2 should be
>  | fixed.
>
> to be more consistent, i would say:
>
> GPL1 -> GPL1
> GPL2 -> GPL2
> GPL3 -> GPL3
>
> GPL -> all GPLs valid (synonyme for 'GPL1' 'GPL2' 'GPL3')
>
> at least i am tagging my pkgs like this

This doesn't work:
1) using GPL for both GPL2 and GPL3 is not good because they are
different licenses.
2) GPL2 is "GPL2 or later" or "GPL2 only"?

I like Dan's proposal:
GPL -> GPL2 or later
GPL2 - GPL2 only
GPL3 - GPL3 or later

Here "GPL2 or later" means a popular application of GPL2 to software
with words "either version 2 of this license or (at your opinion) any
later version".

Where GPL2 only is like in Linux kernel - without "or (at your
opinion) any later version", which is very different.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)