[arch-dev-public] Second list of removal candidates

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 04:59:11 EST 2007

2007/11/15, Eric Belanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>
> >> font-bh-ttf     should we keep it?
> > I can maintain it in Community, you can move it right there (if there
> > are no objections).
> > Instead, I'd like to bring ttf-freefont and ttf-liberation to Extra,
> > which are much more important.
>
> Why moving it (and the other packages you propose to adopt) to community?
> Why not adopting them and maintaining them in extra? To me it seems like
> unecessary work, unless you have a personal preference in maintaining suff
> in community.  I don't see any problem in keeping most of these packages
> in extra IF they have a maintainer. The 'if' is the key part here.  Some
> of the packages that were/will be removed are more worthy to remain in
> extra than some stupid package like xsnow but the fact of the matter is
> that they don't have a maintainer while xsnow has one.  Unless someone
> think of them being worthy enough to say: "Wait a minute! This package
> should stay in extra. We must find a maintainer for it.", much like what
> has happened with bind and exim, they 'll go in unsupported.

Yeah, that's kind of my preference to maintain not so
popular/important packages in Community.
That's the subject of "Extra/Community line & Mantle/Crust" thread.
Plus, I used to maintain all packages in Community, because I was
doing just bugtracker work with no package maintaining in Extra in the
past.
That doesn't mean I don't want to move some good Community packages to
Extra though.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)