[arch-dev-public] [Warning] Don't build openGL apps against fglrx-utils' libGL.so

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 21 05:39:05 EST 2007

tpowa and I found this when we were trying to fix a wine bug: When libgl
or nvidia-utils are installed, applications are linked against "libGL.so.1":

$ readelf -d /usr/lib/libGL.so|grep SONAME
 0x000000000000000e (SONAME)             Library soname: [libGL.so.1]

However, if you try this command with fglrx-utils, it will return
'libGL.so.1.2' as SONAME. The binaries this produces are compatible with
libgl and fglrx-utils, but not with nvidia-utils, as the file
'libGL.so.1.2' does not exist there (while libGL.so.1 does).

Thus, to ensure compatibility with nvidia users, only build OpenGL
applications in environments where libgl or nvidia-utils is installed.