[arch-dev-public] [Warning] Don't build openGL apps against fglrx-utils' libGL.so

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Nov 21 07:35:12 EST 2007

So when mesa decides to supply libGL.so.1.3 because they support OpenGL 3.0
we have to add a backwards compatibility symlink on .so.1.2 also?

On linux the normal soname versioning uses the first number of the
extension. For libGL this is libGL.so.1. Some exceptions do exist, like
OpenSSL which links to .so.0.9.7 and .so.0.9.8, but that's their choice.

As mesa is the standard implementation of libGL on linux, we should follow
mesa behaviour and not mess with things redesigned by ATI.

BTW: Didn't we all build in rather clean chroots where we don't have these
issues?