[arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates

Wed Nov 28 01:52:26 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Tobias Kieslich wrote:

>>> Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
>>> common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?
>>
>> Paul has adopted it so it's no longer in the list.

>>> Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
>>> in quite a lot of places
>>>

>> wxpython is only being used by a couple of  community packages.  Maybe you
>> are confusing it with wxgtk?
> This situation is tricky. I (kindof) maintain wxwidgets(as wxgtk is
> officiall called) and wxpython is usually a bit ahead and ships it's own
> version of wxwidgets(mostly snapshots), which installs in the same place
> a a normal wxwidgets. So the wxpython people usually wanna have their
> best and latest wxwidgets installed but that conflicts with the normal
> wxwidgets.
> To make matters worse, there is a *&%^load of programs out there that
> usually don't build with the latest wxwidgets which means we have to
> either patch them or have to wait with the wxwidgets update.
>
> If wxpython goes to community I can see people bitching (wx in extra
> must be updated right now, etc) or alternatively wxpython "providing"
> wxwidgets which will actually break a bunch of apps from extra.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of wxpython in extra, but
> reality is, if wxwidgets and wxpython AND a good bunch of the wx(gtk)
> based apps are not mnaintained by the same maintainer there will be
> trouble ahead.
>
> Solutions welcome.
>
> 	-T

If that's the case, to minimize headaches, wxpython should remain in extra
with wxgtk and both should be maintained by the same maintainer. If no one is interested in
them, I guess I could adopt both as it a depends for gnuplot which I use
quite a lot.

Eric

believed to be clean.