[arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates

Tobias Kieslich tobias at justdreams.de
Tue Nov 27 20:37:06 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Eric Belanger wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>
> >> mod_python      used on Archlinux.org for django?
> > Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
> > common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?
>
> Paul has adopted it so it's no longer in the list.
>

> >> wxpython        Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
> > Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
> > in quite a lot of places
> >

> wxpython is only being used by a couple of  community packages.  Maybe you
> are confusing it with wxgtk?
This situation is tricky. I (kindof) maintain wxwidgets(as wxgtk is
officiall called) and wxpython is usually a bit ahead and ships it's own
version of wxwidgets(mostly snapshots), which installs in the same place
a a normal wxwidgets. So the wxpython people usually wanna have their
best and latest wxwidgets installed but that conflicts with the normal
wxwidgets.
To make matters worse, there is a *&%^load of programs out there that
usually don't build with the latest wxwidgets which means we have to
either patch them or have to wait with the wxwidgets update.

If wxpython goes to community I can see people bitching (wx in extra
must be updated right now, etc) or alternatively wxpython "providing"
wxwidgets which will actually break a bunch of apps from extra.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of wxpython in extra, but
reality is, if wxwidgets and wxpython AND a good bunch of the wx(gtk)
based apps are not mnaintained by the same maintainer there will be
trouble ahead.

Solutions welcome.

	-T