[arch-dev-public] Questionable apps in core/support

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 28 16:40:45 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 01:59:44PM -0500, Dale Blount wrote:
> > a) screen
> > While this is an important app, sure, does it belong in core?
>
> Probably not.  Useful, but not normally used till after an install and
> should be OK in extra.
>
> > b) hdparm and sdparm
> > I don't see how these work in "support" - as the very least I'd put
> > them at the same mental level as acpi and pm-utils
>
> Some drives/controllers used to required forcing modes with hdparm to
> get decent performance (think install taking 2 days).  Not sure if this
> is still an issue.

Wow... probably something on more dedicated hardware than just standard
beige boxes...

> > c) openswan/openvpn/vpnc
> > I'm on the fence here. I mean, I could see VPN connections being
> > needed at some point during an install or something of the sort, but
> > at the same time, why do we have 3 VPN apps there?
>
> openswan does ipsec based VPN
> openvpn does SSL/TLS based VPN
> vpnc does cisco based VPN
>
> Not saying that they should be in core, but if we deem that one should
> be, they all should be.

I would agree that I don't think these are really supposed to be in core.

If any were to stay in core, I'd put vpn in there.  Call me silly, but at
one point I had a vpn'd wireless network to give access to the LAN.

Jason