[arch-dev-public] Questionable apps in core/support

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 27 13:59:44 EST 2007

> a) screen
> While this is an important app, sure, does it belong in core?

Probably not.  Useful, but not normally used till after an install and
should be OK in extra.

> b) hdparm and sdparm
> I don't see how these work in "support" - as the very least I'd put
> them at the same mental level as acpi and pm-utils

Some drives/controllers used to required forcing modes with hdparm to
get decent performance (think install taking 2 days).  Not sure if this
is still an issue.

> c) openswan/openvpn/vpnc
> I'm on the fence here. I mean, I could see VPN connections being
> needed at some point during an install or something of the sort, but
> at the same time, why do we have 3 VPN apps there?

openswan does ipsec based VPN
openvpn does SSL/TLS based VPN
vpnc does cisco based VPN

Not saying that they should be in core, but if we deem that one should
be, they all should be.

Dale