[arch-dev-public] license for sqlite3

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:51:24 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 2:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 2:09 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 29, 2007 1:49 PM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa at solnet.ch> wrote:
> > > why is PD not a standard licence entry for us? it should not be
> > > custom, since it is a quite standard way to licence something.
> >
> > Give me some standard text and I'll throw it in there.
>
> Um, no
>
> We went over this somewhere.
>
> There's no such thing as a public domain license. It flat out doesn't
> work. Not only is it not a license, but public domain means different
> things in different countries. From the "WTFPL" faq:
>
> * Isn't this license basically public domain?
> There is no such thing as "putting a work in the public domain", you
> America-centered, Commonwealth-biased individual. Public domain varies
> with the jurisdictions, and it is in some places debatable whether
> someone who has not been dead for the last seventy years is entitled
> to put his own work in the public domain.

My tongue-in-cheek response was a bit too cryptic. I meant to stress
the "standard text" part which is non-existent. I know that we cannot
and will not include a "license" for something like this, because
public domain is not a license at all. Thus I figured my suggestion
for the 'none' license was acceptable, but that got shot down
quickly...

-Dan