[arch-dev-public] hidden dependencies

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sun Oct 7 07:58:34 EDT 2007

I want to ask something about our own packaging rules. Right now we
don't add any dependencies that are already covered by another. Namcap
usually tells you that right.

But this makes it hard to do all the .so rebuilds or if you simply want
to check over all packages where a pkg foo is a dependency.

This is what I use for checking the deps:

[andyrtr at workstation64 cvs]$ grep -l libpcap `find . -name PKGBUILD`
./arch/build/base/ppp/PKGBUILD
./arch/build/base/libpcap/PKGBUILD
./arch/build/network/nmap/PKGBUILD
./arch/build/network/ngrep/PKGBUILD
./arch/build/network/tcpdump/PKGBUILD
./arch/build/network/wireshark/PKGBUILD
./core/base/ppp/PKGBUILD
./core/base/libpcap/PKGBUILD
./core/support/ppp/PKGBUILD
./extra/lib/libnetdude/PKGBUILD
./extra/lib/libnids/PKGBUILD
./extra/lib/libpcapnav/PKGBUILD
./extra/emulators/user-mode-linux/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/lft/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/nmap/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/ntop/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/ngrep/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/ulogd/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/etherape/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/tcpdump/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/ssldump/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/ettercap/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/kismet/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/wireshark/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/xprobe/PKGBUILD
./extra/network/tcptraceroute/PKGBUILD
./extra/system/snort/PKGBUILD
./extra/daemons/knockd/PKGBUILD

Do you know any way to write some code for namcap or checkpkg to show
those hidden "already covered by another dep" dependencies? To run
lddd.sh is only a poor solution as it only detects packages that are
installed on  your system.

If not I'd vote to change the old packaging rule and switch to fully
shown deps.

Andy